The Department is known as women and Children Department. Since 1965 it is known as the women department but in 2002 the unit of children work was also combined in the women work. The women organization in our Diocese is known as BETHANIA. This name originates from the Bible. It took a name of a Jewish village Bethania, where Mary, Martha and their brother Lazarus lived. This name was chosen because of the friends of Jesus who had strong faith in him. They invited him and other people into their home, and served them. That village became important because of the people who were proclaiming God’s Word. We read about them from John 12:1 – 8, John 11, 10:38 – 42.
In 1950 under the guidance of the late Sr. Emilie Wille, the German Missionary, the women organization blossomed. In 1960 the Diocese created a department for women and the constitution was passed. In 1965, during the Diocesan General Meeting conducted in Karagwe Diocese the organization was officially named BETHANIA, as it was suggested by Sr. Emilie Wille.
Units in the Department
The women and children’s activities are carried out from the grassroots to the diocesan level.