HUMAN RIGHTS DESK
The church structure of the North Western Diocese in many ways is comparable to the state structure. The diocese works on regional level. On this level, the office of the human Rights desk was established. On the district level, the diocese consists of 9 districts (Northern A, Northern B, Bukoba, Eastern, Western, Central, South A, Southern B and Southern C districts).
Roles and Responsibilities
We are combating community violence in three ways
1. We are mobilizing the community by conducting seminars at all levels according to the structure of our diocese by educating Community Leaders, Religious Leaders, Women, Men and Youth.
- 2. We are accompanying victims of violence who do not know where to go for claiming for their rights. In doing so, we are covering some costs for court fee and if there is a need for an advocate, we do pay for those who cannot afford to pay.
- 3. We are making mediation. When we receive the case (conflict) first of all, we meet both sides in order to discuss the issue. We convince the community to handle their conflicts with mediation because through this way the real forgiveness is being done.
Faith based leaders
- How long have you been involved in this programs?
- With whom are you doing these duties?
- How many religious leaders are involved and from which religious groups?
- Why are some these denomination leaders not participating fully?