You are here: Home ABOUT NWD
The History of the North Western Diocese dates back to 1886 when the local residents who where traders brought new faith in the northern parts of Bukoba from Uganda and began preaching the Gospel. However the official birth date of the Evangelical Church of Buhaya now the Noth Western Diocese is set on 1910, when the Bethel Mission began work at Kashura. The name Buhaya was comprised of the present day, Government Districts of Bukoba, Missenye, Muleba and Karagwe. In 1978, the North Western Diocese covering the Government Districts of Bukoba, Muleba, Biharamulo and Karagwe gave birth to a new diocese namely ELCT Karagwe Diocese Presently covers Ngara and Karagwe Government districts.
The second world war 1939-1945, led the German missionaries to leave the country. The leadership of the church was left in the hands of Pastor Jonathan Korama as the Pastor in charge. The church was in hands of local leadership between 1940-1942. The church of Sweden was called to take the work of Bethel Mission and the first Missionary from Sweden arrived in Bukoba in 1941. The first Danish missionary arrived in the North Western Diocese in 1948. The Evangelical Church of Buhaya was under the leadership of Church of Sweden Mission from 1942-1951. The leadership of the Evangelical Church of Buhaya was put under the Leadership of Church of Sweden Mission Board in cooperation with the Danish Missionary Society and Bethel Mission. The first Swedish missionaries between 1942-1949 were:-
Rev. Dr.Bengt Sundkler and his wife - 1942
- Rev. Tore Fryhill and his wife - 1945
- Rev. Joseph Imberg and his wife - 1945
- Rev. Sven Nasmark and his wife - 1946
- Dr. Barbro Johansson - 1946
- Rev. Gunnar Ljungman and his wife - 1948
- Rev. Bilger Wiking and his wife - 1949
- Rev. Gustav Bernander and his wife - 1949
In 1959 there were 100 missionaries working in the Evangelical Church of Buhaya sent by the following Missionary Societies.
- Church of Sweden Mission - 55
- Danish Missionary Society - 27
- Bethel Mission - 18
Total - 100
In 1959 the church became independent from the Leadership of Church of Sweden which was cooperating with Danish Missionary mission society and the Bethel Mission and then the Church was named Evangelical Lutheran Church of North Western Tanganyika. The first Bishop of the Diocese was consecrated in 1961. The first Bishop of the Diocese was Dr. Bengt Sundkler.
Copyright © 2018 ELCT/NWD Rights Reserved.